Wednesday 6 May 2009

Whedon's Alien

Here's a very interesting article and analysis of ALIEN RESURRECTION. Joss Whedon receives writing credit, but the final cut of the film is far from his original vision. Here, "Big Ross" talks about the differences between Whedon's script and the film that was made.

He really goes into great detail, charting characterisation, development and the ending.
Whedon himself has said of the film, "It wasn't a question of doing everything differently...it was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong...They did everything wrong that they could possibly do...it wasn’t so much that they’d changed the script; it’s that they just executed it in such a ghastly fashion as to render it almost unwatchable."
Personally, I don't think ALIEN RESURRECTION was that bad. I was bored by the first movie (although respect the ideas and storytelling), thought ALIENS was overrated and only just enjoyed ALIEN 3. I'm not saying that ALIEN 4 is the best film, but it is one I enjoy. That's mainly because of the brigand crew that spend the entire film escaping said acid-blood. And if I'm perfectly honest, it's my belief that if you cast Ron Perlman, the film can't be bad. Even HELLBOY 2 was watchable.

So basically, I don't think ALIEN 4 was as bad as Joss says above. However, I haven't actually read his original draft. I'd really love to, because the way "Big Ross" (yes I am uncomfortable referring to someone as "Big Ross" without using quote marks) describes it, it seems pretty gorram, good.

So if anyone out there has access to Whedon's script for ALIEN RESURRECTION, please do let me know so that I can hate the film as much as everyone else.

On another note, Big Ross' (note the lack of quote marks - I've become more secure - grown as a person!) in depth analysis has really made me think about my own writing. I have a fair few films in my DVD cabinet that are utter shite, so maybe I'll do an analysis of those - once you learn what makes bad storytelling, you can learn what makes good storytelling.

Happy writing, fellow bloggers and/or non-bloggers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have not read the original script in this case, but I suppose that he read something in the script that he didn't find in the final movie. If what you believe is the heart of the story is removed, I think it inevitably becomes bad in your eyes.

Neil said...

It's true I'm a Whedon adict (but acceptance is the first stage, right?). I don't think there's been anything he's done that I haven't liked.

I saw ALIEN 4 as a good movie. Now that I realise how much it seems to be different from Joss' script, I really wish that one was made.

Having said all that, Joss isn't perfect. If you look at his scripts (especially near the end of them, as he gets quick to finish), his action isn't that great. There's often things like "they fight". he becomes less and less descriptive. So the team that Joss works with plays a huge part in the final product. Is it simply a case of a bad team for this film?