Friday 7 August 2009

Spartacus: Blood and Sand

"How many men would you kill to hold your wife again?"
"I would kill them all."

Something I'm very much looking forward to in 2010 is SPARTACUS: BLOOD AND SAND.

This is the TV show based on the historical character who brought down the Roman Empire. There's very little known about the man and what he did, meaning that history can be played with. I'm 100% certain that the show will be insanely inaccurate (based on Roman lifestyle and history) but I'm also 100% certain it will be fun.

The most comforting thing for me is that one of the chief writers is Steve DeKnight, (BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER, ANGEL, DOLLHOUSE, SMALLVILLE). He knows what he's doing and specialiases in dark action pieces. He gave us some of the best ANGEL episodes, including 'The Girl in Question' (hilarious), 'Apocalypse, Nowish' (incredible action), 'Damage' (very dark).

The show stars Andy Whitfield (in the title role), John Hannah, Erin Cummings and Lucy Lawless. Done in the style of 300, it won't be to everyone's tastes but I think it's worth a look. With one of my favourite writers in such an influencial role, I'm very excited. It looks incredibly violent (which I always and enjoy) and has its fair share of sex. Think 300 meets GLADIATOR. Check out the trailer and let me know what you think:

No comments: