Thursday 5 March 2009

WATCHMEN and projects

I'm going to see WATCHMEN on Saturday. There's been a lot of hype about it and I couldn't decide if it was for me. I've never read the comic but I know a bit about it. No doubt the film will be visually stunning and the source material is very political, so should make for shiny viewing. Hopefully it won't disappoint. I'll be posting a review (on the right hand side) after I've seen it.

In other news, MICHAEL'S RESIGNATION has had some more publicity, most notably on the Sky News website. You can read about it here. More and more ideas have been shooting around for publicity and production. We're looking for anyone who has any contacts who could get us cheap equipment (cameras etc) and such. If you have any way of helping us poor Indie film makers, fire me a message at neil.baker@michaelsresignation.com.

I've also been sending a fair few messages to Michelle. A while back, we decided to create a web show. We came up with a great idea, but it got too big for its boots and mutated into a full blown TV show. So this morning I sent a message to Michelle with another idea. It's staying under wraps for the time being, but let's just say it has a better chance of being made than anything we've done before. It's also very, very basic in terms of production and premise. It's in the writing when we see if it will work.

I was surfing TED.com the other day and came across this little gem. It's a talk from J.J. Abrams. He talks about LOST, STAR WARS, JAWS, DIE HARD, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE III, special effects, what comes next in media, anyone can make a movie, creative democracy, the creative process - mystery, it's not what you see, it's what you don't see (been said many times before) and characters. Check it out here.

Also on TED, I was linked to another talk by Stephen Petranek. It's rather funny and very informative. Basically, it's the top 10 ways the world could end. While you may think it's nonsense, it's really, really not. Did you know you have as much chance of dying in a plane crash as you do dying in a meteor crash? I didn't! I love this so much because it provides a great source for screenwriting. Bashing out an apocalyptic film? This is for you! It's all here.

Anyway, there's some interesting stuff for you to get through.

Happy writing!

No comments: