Tuesday 27 January 2009

Learn from scenes

Taking a leaf out of the Unknown Screenwriter's blog, I've decided to put a notepad together and list my favourite scenes in film and television. Basically saying why I like them. Why are they good? What is it about that scene in particular that is so brilliant, while the rest of the movie may be shite?

I'm not talking about direction or acting, because as a writer, I don't think it will further my skills. More about the dialogue, the action, maybe what that scene means to the film as a whole. How it develops the plot/s and the character/s.

So this is a little something I've put together. Well, I say 'put together'. I mean I'm coming up with it as I write this. It's basically a template with headings for why the scene is so good. Feel free to use it, abuse it, tear it to shreds and all that jazz (why's it jazz anyway? Hmm....from now on, I shall change that phrase to 'and all that metal').

FILM/SHOW:

SCENE:

CHARACTERS:

WHY IS IT GOOD?
  • DEVELOPMENT OF CHARACTER/S:
  • DEVELOPMENT OF PLOT/S:
  • DIALOGUE:
  • ACTION:
  • EMOTION:
  • SIGNIFICANCE TO THE WHOLE:
  • PURPOSE OF SCENE:
That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but do let me know if you can add to it.

Shiny writing,
Neil.

No comments: