Monday 7 September 2009

Movie catchphrases

I recently read James Cameron's treatment for 'The Terminator' and it made very interesting reading. One thing I noticed is Arnold Schwarzenegger's famous catchphrase:

"I'll come back!"

'Wait,' I hear you cry. '"I'll come back?!" That's not the right phrase! It's "I'll be back!"'

But as some of you know, in the original script, the line was "I'll come back" as opposed to the classic we all know now. The line went on to be used in other Arnie movies, including 'Commando', 'Raw Deal', 'The Running Man', 'Total Recall', 'The Sixth Day' and many more. So this begs the question:

What is the greatest movie catchphrase and what makes them so memorable? Feel free to answer in the comments section, but for now, I'll run down my top catchphrases -

10. No, Mr Bond...I expect you to die! ('Goldfinger') - James Bond is a smart-mouthed agent. But here, he is outwitted by the bad guy! That's what makes this line so powerful and clever.

9. My momma always said, "Life's like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get. ('Forest Gump') - Simply because it's true.

8. Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die! ('The Princess Bride') - For a child's fantasy film, this revenge story is very dark. We have a character who is desperately searching to avenge his father's death. So when he finally finds the killer, we really want him to succeed.

7. This is SPARTA!!! ('300') - A legend on the internet, but as a Classics fan, I know it's realistic. The Spartans were the best and most feared warriors ever. This quote rings so true for them.

6. Say "what" again. Say "what" again. I dare you, I double dare you, motherfucker, say "what" one more Goddamn time! ('Pulp Fiction') - Only Sam Jackson can make the weirdest hair in the world be this scary!



5. My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true Emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance...in this life or the next. ('Gladiator') - Is there a more powerful revenge story than that of Maximus? Here he stares at the man responsible and doesn't take his revenge, but swears he will!

4. Do I feel lucky? Well do ya, punk?! ('Dirty Harry')- The ultimate badass, Dirty Harry is the only person cool enough to deliver this awesome speech! Important note: count the number of shots your enemies fire from a revolver!



3. You are one ugly motherfucker! ('Predator') - Arnie squares off against the Predator as the fearless killing machine (the alien, not Arnie) removes his helmet, revealing the terrifying, grotesque face underneath. This never gets old!



2. I'll be back! ('Terminator') - The use of 'be' is what makes this quote so amazing. He will be there and when he is, you'll die!



1. Yippie ki yay, motherfuker! ('Die Hard') - The ultimate defiance of John McClane in a film all about holding on till the end. A classic action movie and a classic action quote. Holds no great meaning other than to say "fuck you" to those trying to kill him.



So, what's your favourite movie catchphrase and why?

No comments: